Take an ABC supplement to protect your vision, another supplement for hair growth, and don’t forget to take the XYZ supplement that protects our bones! And the list can go long…
“SUPPLEMENTS” are one of the popular elements of the modern diet that is ruling the world of nutrition and food science. To your surprise, these supplements haven’t become popular overnight instead evolved over decades. One of these popular supplements is fish oil or supplements.
Fish Oil- An Overview
Fish oil, as indicated by the name, refers to the extracted right from oily fish tissues. Known for its exceptional nutritional profile, fish oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids (essential fats that cannot be made by your body).
Commonly, fish oil is extracted from fatty fishes like salmon, sardines, cod, trout, and herrings, etc. No matter how much fish oil benefits you have heard or how badly you want to add it to your diet, there is a lot untold you need to know.
Fish oil was recommended to be heart-healthy and that too when people were quite obsessed with low-fat diets. Since then, fish oil capsules and other fish oil supplements have been in trend. From our skin health to a brainer brain, fish oil has remained our well-thought-out option.
Being one of the popular dietary supplements (just like 100 others), fish oil stole all the spotlight!
Let’s know more about this popular dietary supplement and study some widely held fish oil uses.
History of Fish Oil Use
The history of fish oil is perhaps as old as humans themselves are. Human ancestors are thought to survive on an extremely broad diet that included fishes and other animals. But who first used fish for omega-3?
Probably, one of your ancestors was enjoying a raw fish burger wrapped in lettuce leaves nearly 2 million years ago. It keeps them going and makes them wiser… omega-3 and brain development.
Following this, codfish liver oil was used for medicinal purposes during the rickets pandemic. Many scientific studies highlighted the importance of omega 3-fatty acid for human health that resulted in the expansion of the fish oil market.
Nutritional Profile of Fish Oil
The secret behind the numerous fish oil benefits lies in its composition. Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acid is a standard claim to describe the nutritional value of fish oil and that’s quite right. The omega-3 fatty acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) that is one of three types of healthy fats
Nutritionally speaking, there are two types of omega-3’s present in fish oil including;
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
The presence of EPA and DHA in fish oil is responsible for the exceptional nutritional profile of fish oil.
Fish Oil Benefits to Know
Here are some popular fish oil uses one needs to know about;
1- Fish Oil Benefits for Heart Health
One of the reasons that fish oil became immediately popular was due to its role in cardiac health. Thus, regular fish oil consumption can reduce heart diseases risks factors by;
- Lowering bad cholesterol levels in our body.
- Keeping our blood pressure in check.
- Controlling abnormal heart rhythms.
- Limiting plaque formation.
2- Fish Oil for Hair
The use of fish oil for hair growth isn’t new for anyone. You can use fish oil for hair growth because;
- Fish oil can boost your hair growth by extending the duration of the growth phase (anagen phase) of the hair growth cycle.
- Consumption of fish oil also helps to make your hair thicker and heavier.
Therefore, if you are suffering from hair loss, remember these uses of fish oil for hair and get your hands on fish oil or fish oil supplements.
3- Fish Oil for Skin
Next in the list of fish oil benefits is the use of fish oil for skin health. The use of fish oil is beneficial for our skin health in several ways.
- Fish oil can keep your skin looking hydrated and fresh because it can impact the skin cell’s ability to retain water.
- Using fish oil for skin health is beneficial because fish oil can protect your skin from sun rays damage.
- For eczema patients, fish oil can be a perfect fix because it can inhibit inflammation-reducing eczema symptoms.
- Furthermore, you can also use fish oil for hyperpigmentation that results in the appearance of dark-coloured skin patches.
- Fish oil is also effective against acne and can reduce inflammation thus, reducing the severity of an acne outbreak.
- Dry skin conditions like dermatitis etc. can also be treated by using fish oil. The use of fish oil can improve the skin moisture barrier that keeps moisture locked preventing dry skin conditions.
- It can also boost the normal skin healing process after wear and tear our skin goes through daily.
4- Fish Oil for Liver
Next in the list of fish oil benefits comes the use of fish oil to protect liver health. Fish oil is known to support liver function because of its ability to fight liver inflammation and fight fatty liver. Liver inflammation is a common liver health problem caused by liver cirrhosis.
An inflamed is surely not capable of performing the normal liver function. However, one must seek out a physician’s recommendation before using fish oil for the liver.
5- Fish Oil for Better Brain Function
The presence of omega-3 fatty acid in fish oil makes it a healthy constituent of a brain-friendly diet. DHA and EPA fatty acids enable fish oil to support brain function. Here is what role fish oil can play towards our brain health.
- Fish oil tends to slow down the brain’s ageing process that is responsible for compromised brain function among older people.
- Further, fish oil consumption is also necessary for better mental health as it is known to reduce the symptoms of depression.
- Fish oil can also aid the structural and functional development of the brain.
6- Fish Oil Benefits for Men Health
There are countless claimed fish oil benefits for men’s health. This also comes from the exceptional nutritional profile of fish oil. The omega-3 fatty acid is known to boost fertility in men due to it being an important component of the male sex hormone. Other fish oil benefits for men’s health are because of fish oil’s ability to promote sexual health among overweight and obese men.
7- Other Fish Oil Benefits
Alongside fish oil benefits for skin, hair, and brain development, many other fish oil benefits still require validation from research. These include;
- Fish oil plays a role in protecting against asthma and allergies.
- Role of fish oil to improve bone health.
- Fish oil and weight loss.
- Use of fish oil to support learning and cognitive abilities among children.
All these fish oil benefits can justify fish oil being called a superfood. However, one needs to be cautious about the recommended consumption doses and food allergies.
Fish Oil Side Effects
Combined with hundreds of fish oil benefits for human health, some fish oil side effects need to be addressed.
Here are some fish oil side effects one needs to know about;
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Poor digestive health (watery stools)
- Bad breath
- Blood sugar level among diabetics
- Lower blood pressure
However, it is important to know that all these fish oil side effects are the consequence of inappropriate and excessive usage of fish oil.
Enough of Fish Oil Benefits? Let’s Wrap it Up
Fish oil is an important dietary supplement that offers many health benefits. From using fish oil for skin to the role of fish oil benefits for the liver, fish oil does it all for you. No matter if you want to consume it as supplements or in any other form, be mindful to consume it in moderation to avoid any side effects. Hence, if you are not sure about which supplements to take and how to add these to your diet, consult one of the best nutritionists in Lahore to get the right advice.