When it comes to your health, vitamins are such a great asset that offer immense benefits for your body and overall health. And the vitamin that takes the crown of this, is none other than vitamin C. Not only your immune system is BFFs of vitamin C, but it is a kind of elixir for your skin.
You probably have an idea about vitamin C when you reach out for treatment or remedy for your cold. But, honestly, how many of you know that it helps you with glowing skin? If not, that let me tell you that it has been one of the “skin-obsessed” ingredients from the past few years.
Vitamin C is hailed as one of the best ingredients for anti-ageing, glowy skin, and smooth complexion. You might be getting enough vitamin C in your diet but there is no guarantee that it is also going to your skin directly. For this reason, the best way to benefit your skin is by using vitamin C serums and its other products for your skincare routine.
So whether you are opting for a simple skincare routine or want to improve your existing skincare routine, vitamin C serum can be your golden ticket. Vitamin C serum and its topical use can repair, protect and enhance our overall skin.
So, without much ado let’s have a look at vitamin C uses, vitamin C benefits for your skin, how to use vitamin C serum, etc. But wait, first let’s get to know what vitamin C serum is actually and what’s all the hype about. Right?!
All about Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C serum is basically a skincare product that is richly packed with vitamin C. It is used topically. It has either a liquid or gel-like consistency. It’s easily available in beauty stores, departmental stores, and even in some drug stores. If you’d notice, on its packaging you’ll see words like “collagen-boosting”, “brightening”, “skin firming” and “glowing skin”. These aren’t mere words but are unique benefits due to which vitamin C serums are added into your skincare routine. The main benefit of vitamin C serum is its antioxidant property that helps prevent free radicals from breaking down the elastin and collagen of the skin. The end result, thus, is youthful, wrinkle-free, and glowing skin.
Here is What You Need to Know Before Buying Vitamin C Serum
Even though vitamin C serum benefits are enormous, it is important to have some information about what you need to look for a vitamin C serum for your skin.
So, here is a list to help you buy the best vitamin C serum:
- Form: Vitamin C serum is available in different forms and names. But, you need to choose the one labelled as “L-ascorbic acid”, as it is the most effective one. Apart from this, vitamin C serum is available in powdered, gel, liquid, cream etc form as well.
- Concentration: For best results, you need to get vitamin C serum with more than 8%. The best to choose is between (10-20)%. But, you need to be careful as a concentration higher than 20% can lead to skin irritation and decreased benefit. Also, if you are buying a new vitamin C serum, it’s best to do the patch test. This will help you in checking if there are any side effects such as yellowish colouration, dryness, stinging and redness.
- Ingredient: You need to have a checklist for the ingredients as “must-have” in your vitamin C serums. You need to check for both vitamin E or tocopherol and L-ascorbic acid respectively. The reason why I am saying this is for you to think of these combinations as BFFs that do wonder for your skin.
Vitamin E is important as it helps in stabilizing vitamin C on your skin. Glutathione is another ingredient that is a good antioxidant that helps vitamin C.
- Packaging: Serum is easily degraded by heat, light and air. That’s why you need to look out for the product that comes in a dark bottle. The packaging in a tube is also helpful as not only it has increased shelf life but is good to be stored in a refrigerator. A good brand would not only mention the instructions and how to properly store the serums.
- Price: Last but not least, the factor that you need to know is the price factor. You might think that an expensive vitamin C serum is way better than the cheaper ones. However, this is not the case, the quality and vitamin C serum benefit for skin is based on the concentration and formulation of the serum.
Vitamin C Serum Benefits for Skin
Vitamin C serum- the magic potion for your skin is a buzzword in the field of skincare. The vitamin C serum for face benefits is one such major benefit. Let’s explore further vitamin C serum uses and their benefits.
1. Good for All Skin Types
The reason you need to choose vitamin C serum is because of its safety profile. People of various skin types use vitamin C serum without experiencing any harmful reactions on their skin. In extremely rare cases, people with hypersensitive skin suffer from little irritation.
The ultimate goal that everyone wants to have is glowing and hydrating skin. The main ingredient in vitamin C serum i.e. magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is proven to have a hydrating effect on your skin. The moisture on your skin is retained as the transepidermal water loss from the skin is decreased.
3. Brightening- Vitamin C Serum Benefit for Face
Vitamin C serum reduces the dullness of your skin. Not only it improves the texture but it helps in fading the pigmentation on your skin. Ultimately, you’ll have healthy glowing skin.
4. Make Your Skin Tone Even and Reduce Redness
Various studies have shown that vitamin C serum has a variety of anti-inflammatory skin properties. So, the vitamin C serum for face benefit is that it is responsible for creating an even tone of the skin and reduces redness.
5. Helps in Reducing Hyperpigmentation
Vitamin C serum uses also include reduction of the age spots, sun spots, melasma, and even hyperpigmentation. All of this occurs when melanin is overproduced in certain parts of our skin. Apart from this, it can also occur in areas where acne is just healed.
Vitamin C serum use has shown to be effective against the reduction of excess melatonin production. This can ultimately help in achieving even tone skin and even reduced dark spots.
6. Vitamin C Serum Promotes Collagen Production
Collagen production is one of the most important vitamins c serum benefits. Collagen is a protein that is naturally present in our skin. With age, the level of collagen begins to drop. When this happens, it leads to wrinkles and fine lines. Vitamin C serum use for skin, without a doubt, helps in improved production of collagen.
7. Reduces Dark Circles
The under-eye area of the skin is the most sensitive one. Using vitamin C serum can help in reducing dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles and hydrate the under-eye area of the skin. Even though vitamin C serum benefits in reducing the redness on the face, it can also alleviate the discolouration of under-eye circles.
8. Protection Against the Sun Damage
The free radicals are responsible for causing sun damage. These are the atoms basically that have a missing electron. That’s why they are in search of free atoms so when they find one from the skin, they steal it, thus leading to severe skin damage. Vitamin C serum for face benefits in a way that it has antioxidants. These antioxidants protect the skin from the harms of free radicals.
9. Vitamin C Serum Soothes Sunburns Mark
Here is another hidden benefit of vitamin C serum apart from reducing the redness of the skin. The turnover of the cell is accelerated by the use of vitamin C serum.
10. Prevent Sagging of Skin
The sagging of skin is a sign that our skin is ageing. The firmness and elasticity of our skin decreases with age. Vitamin C serum use helps in improving the collagen level in the skin thus improving elasticity and skin firmness.
11. Improve Healing of Wounds
As discussed before, vitamin C serum is good for treating skin damage due to the sun. It should be definitely no surprise that it also helps in speeding up the overall process of wound healing. Healthy and improved wound healing reduces the risk of infection, inflammation, and scarring.
How to Apply and Use Vitamin C Serum
I am pretty sure that all of you must have a clear idea about the benefits of vitamin C serum. But, now you must be thinking about how and when you should apply it. Right? No worries. Here is how you can use vitamin C serum.
Even though vitamin C serum is good for all skin types. Still, it is recommended that you do a patch test first in order to check if you are at risk of an allergic reaction. Here is how you can do this:
- Firstly, you need to select a particular area for the skin that is easy to conceal such as the forearm.
- Apply the vitamin C serum on it and wait for 24 hours.
- If you observe no side effects, you are good to use it on your face. While if you see redness, hives or rash, avoid using it on your skin.
When it is time to apply vitamin C serum on the skin, make sure to follow the instructions as mentioned on the label.
Apply vitamin C serum once or twice a day. A simple and best rule to apply vitamin C serum is to cleanse, tone, apply vitamin C serum, and then go for moisturizer. Vitamin C serum can be used with other skincare active agents. However, avoid using it alongside niacinamide as it makes vitamin C serum less effective.
Vitamin C serum benefits are amazing. It helps in reducing hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, heals blemishes, sun damage, and gives ultra-glow to your skin.
But, remember that consistency is the key to achieve the best and maximum results from vitamin C serum. For this reason, you need to add it to your routine. Some people opt for it during their night skincare routine while others use it with their UV protectants. Either way, use it the way you are comfortable with and the one that works best for you. If you however experience any allergy, discomfort and irritation discontinue its use without any second thought. In case you still have any ambiguity about your skin and skincare products you can easily reach out to the best cosmetologist via Healthwire.pk.