As the saying goes, Beauty is in the eyes of a beholder. Eyes are the greatest gift of Nature. It is one of the most important senses that about 80% of what we observe and understand is through this sense of sight.
Even though people normally believe that our eyesight will worsen with age, the truth is- that they don’t necessarily have to.
Protecting our eyes not only helps reduce the risk of blindness but also eye diseases and infections. Eye-care is, therefore, necessary for this reason.
We all know how exercising our muscles is really good for our overall health. But what about eye exercises in improving our vision? Well, since ancient times, people believe that “eye exercises” are a natural cure to improve eyesight fast naturally.
There is insufficient data to support how these eye muscle exercises are helpful in curing vision health problems. But, these eye exercises will surely help you with eye strain and help your eyes feel better.
How to Improve Eyesight with Eye Exercises?
We are living in a digital world where everything you need is just a click away. The technological boom has improved our lives in many ways. Be it basic necessities of life to healthcare facilities, everything is accessible at your fingertips.
However, as technology has its blessings, it has a bad side as well. Smartphones are the new norm. If I call it a basic necessity, it won’t be wrong. Every household today has smartphones, computers, laptops and TV. Its consumption has increased over the past few years. Various studies show that overuse of digital devices can cause eye strain. The end result of this can lead to vision issues and various eye diseases.
But you know what, you don’t have to suffer from continuous vision loss and related issues. We have listed below eye exercises to improve your eyesight. These exercises can help your eye muscles, create healthier eye muscles and ultimately reduce eye strains.
Exercising your eyes is just like any other normal exercise for your muscles. Your eye muscles will get stronger and you’ll develop more stamina. Ultimately, you’ll lower the risk of eye strain and vision impairment.
Eye exercises may not necessarily help you in improving your eyesight, but they can surely help you in having eye comfort, especially if your eyes get tired while working. Digital eye strain is common among people who have to work on computers the whole day. They can suffer from:
- Blurred Vision
- Eye Strain
- Dry Eyes
Here are simple and easy eye exercises to improve eyesight and alleviate digital eye strain symptoms.
Yoga Eye Exercises
Palming is a yoga eye exercise. This exercise can help you in relaxing the muscles around your eyes and reduce eye fatigue.
Here is How to Do Palming Eye Exercise:
- First, you need to warm your hands by rubbing them.
- Close your eyes and then place your palm on each eye.
- Over each eye, cup your eyes and then you need to take deep breaths for 5 minutes.
Do you know that even blinking can help your eyes? Yes, you have read right. The reason is that blinking can help your eyes to stay moist and improve your focus.
However, the problem is that when people use digital devices, they don’t blink much. Ultimately, this can lead to poor eye vision and eye strain.
So, if you are looking at how to improve eyesight naturally at home, blinking might be your answer.
Now, you must be thinking about how blinking can be helpful for your eyes? Right?! Well, our eyelashes, if you take metaphorically, act as windshield wipers for our eyes. When we close our eyes, meibomian glands start to produce moisture that helps to clean our eyes. Blinking can help your eyes regain focus and make your eyes feel refreshed. Due to these factors, eye exercises can reduce eye strain.
Here is How to do Blinking Eye Exercise:
- Firstly, you need to set a timer for 2 minutes
- After this, you need to blink after every 4 seconds
Once you complete this exercise, you’ll feel that your eyes feel less strained and tired.
Figure 8 Eye Exercise
The next eye muscle exercise for how to improve eyesight and help your eyes become bigger and quite flexible I figure 8.
Here is How You Do the Figure 8 Eye Exercise:
- You need to look approximately 10 feet in front of your eyes.
- Then, you need to imagine the number 8 and imagine it is lying horizontally on its side.
- For 2 minutes, you need to move your eyes slowly around this resting number 8.
- Lastly, for 2 minutes you need to trace this number 8 in the reverse.
Change Your Focus: Near and Far Focus
This exercise is extremely easy and simple. It only requires you to change your focus from the objects near you to the far objects. Since this exercise is extremely simple, you can do it anywhere, anytime whether you are standing or sitting.
Here is How You Do This Exercise:
- Firstly, you need to hold your thumb in front of your eyes.
- Your thumb needs to be about 10 inches away from your eyes.
- For 3-5 seconds, you need to focus on your thumb.
- Now, you need to change focus to something else that is 15-20 feet away for 3-5 seconds.
- Make sure to take deep breaths when you are changing your focus.
- Finally, you need to repeat this whole process for 2 minutes,
By doing this, you are actually helping to strengthen the muscles of your eyes. Strong eye muscles can ultimately improve your vision.
Pencil Push-Ups to Improve Eyesight
It is one of the commonly used eye exercises. In this, you need to move your eyes to move in toward one another or congregate when you are looking at a near object.
Here is How You Do Pencil Push-Ups
- Firstly, you need to wear your best correction of near vision.
- At arm’s length holding a pencil.
- Focus on the eraser’s tip.
- If there is any letter or anything written on the tip, you need to focus on that.
- After this, you need to move the pencil towards your nose slowly. Make sure to maintain your focus on the tip.
- Once you start to see it double, you need to draw the pencil away from your face.
- Repeat the whole process several times.
The 20-20-20 Rule
Eye strain is one of the common eye problems that many people suffer from. Our eyes don’t have to be continuously glued to any screen or object for a longer period of time. If you do this, you will only get fatigued and dry. Therefore, while doing any screen work you need to take regular breaks in order to reduce eye strain.
It is really easy to remember the 20-20-20 rule. All you need to do is simply after every 20 minutes you need to look at something that is 20 feet away from you for about 20 seconds.
This 20-20-20 rule is one of the best eye exercises to improve eyesight.
Tips for How to Improve Eyesight Naturally at Home
Apart from these eye exercises, there are many things that you can do to improve your vision fast in 7 days and keep your eyes healthy.
- Get yourself regularly checked by an eye specialist. This will help you keep a check on your eye health.
- Get to know your family history as most eye diseases are inherited genetically.
- Get yourself updated with the risk factor. For example, if you have diabetes and a family history of eye disease, you need to visit your doctor after every 6 months.
- Wear good quality sunglasses to protect your eyes from harmful UVA and UVB light.
- If you suffer from eyesight issues, you need to wear contact lenses
- Avoid smoking. Smoking is extremely bad for the eyes and your overall body.
- Last, but not least, eat well for your eyes. You need to have a diet full of healthy antioxidants and fats. Obviously, carrots are a must in this diet plan. They are a good source of Vitamin A, which is an essential nutrient for your eye health.
There is insufficient data on how to improve eyesight with eye exercises. So, do eye exercises actually work? Yes, they can work for some specific eye conditions and also help in improving your vision.
It can be possible that you might not benefit from them. But, doing them would be good for your eye muscles especially in digital eye strain.
It is also extremely necessary that you need to visit an eye specialist regularly for a detailed eye checkup, eye exercises and to check if there is nothing serious with your eyes.