Patient's Complete Guide to Articulation Disorders
Overview of Articulation Disorders
Signs and Symptoms of Articulation Disorders
Articular disorders are defined as an abnormal or incorrect production of sounds in children. Articulation disorder is the decreased ability of a child to speak properly without difficulty. “S”, “L” and “R” are among the common articulation errors.
This mainly occurs when the child is unable to timely direct or discriminate the direction, placement, and speed of the lips, tongue, and [ujaws. Children suffering from this disorder are not able to manage the airflow. These conditions make them unable to speak properly and fluently.
Types of Articulation Disorders
Some of the common signs and symptoms of articulation disorders are as follows:
Omissions or Deletions
The child tends to omit some sounds while they are speaking such as
“cu” for “cup”.
Words are substituted and the original meaning of the word is lost
Such as “wabbit” for “rabbit”.
One or more than one sound is added to the words.
A significant change in the phonic status. For example, ‘s’ at the lateral edge of the water.
These signs and symptoms may appear as error patterns or as common rule-based patterns. An example of such occurrence is that the child may substitute or add the common sound with a favorite sound.
Risk Factors of Articulation Disorders
The causes of articulation disorders are as follows:
- Brain damage such as stroke or a blow to the head
- Damaged vocal cords
- Any degenerative disease such as Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease
- Oral cancers
- Down’s syndrome
- Loss of hearing
- Cognitive memory loss such as dementia
The risk factors of articulation disorders are the following:
- Males are more prone to suffer from these speech or sound disorders.
- Children that are born prematurely are at a greater risk of this disease
- Having low weight at birth can make a child more susceptible to these disorders
- Ear, nose, and throat issues at an early age
Articulation Disorders Complications
These disorders can make a person anxious. The situation can worsen if the disorder is neither diagnosed nor treated. Anxiety can make a person socially uncomfortable and awkward. This condition can also increase the chance that the person may start to feel inferior and this might be the onset of depression. Other psychological issues can also arise due to this disease.
The preventive measures of articulation disorders are not concrete. But following the given below instructions can surely help the patients:
- Talk more with your child
- Read with your child
- Avoid the use of drugs during pregnancy
- Wear safety belts if you are traveling during pregnancy
- Make sure that your child is following safety protocols during traveling
- Have your child’s hearing tested on a regular basis
- Do not smoke
- Keep the blood pressure levels in check
Treatment of Articulation Disorders | When to Consult a Doctor
The doctor will test the person if they are showing the aforementioned symptoms. To make sure that the diagnosis is smooth the doctors recommend a thorough physical check-up. This way they are able to rule out any other associated conditions.
Starting with the family history and the person’s medical chart, the doctor may also evaluate the face movements.
Other diagnostic methods are:
Denver Articulation Screening Examination
To check out the person’s pronunciation and to assess the clarity in the speech this test is used.
Dynamic Evaluation of Motor Speech Skills Manual (DEMSS)
This is a complete and comprehensive examination that doctors follow to evaluate the speech disorders in their patients.
Prosody-Voice Screening Profile
To evaluate pitch, phrasing, and speech patterns, doctors may recommend this test.
Consult with Best Doctors for Articulation Disorders
Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Pakistan
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Lahore
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Peshawar
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Gujranwala
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Karachi
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Faisalabad
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Sargodha
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Rawalpindi
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Multan
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Hyderabad
- Doctors to treat Articulation Disorders in Islamabad
Speciality for Articulation Disorders
Hospitals to Treat Articulation Disorders in Pakistan
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Lahore
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Peshawar
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Gujranwala
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Karachi
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Faisalabad
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Sargodha
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Rawalpindi
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Multan
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Hyderabad
- Speech Therapist Hospitals in Islamabad