On Wednesday, Uzbekistan’s Ministry of Health said that around 18 children have died in Samarkand after allegedly ingesting an India-manufactured syrup. The syrup comes under the brand name Doc-1 Max and is manufactured by Noida-Marion Biotech.
In a statement issued by the Uzbekistan ministry, it was mentioned that “laboratory tests of the preparation found the presence of the contaminant ethylene glycol. It said the medicine was consumed without prescription and in a higher dose by the children affected”.
As reported by the statement, the laboratory tests have revealed the presence of ethylene glycol in a certain batch of syrup. It was also disclosed that the substance is quite toxic and consumption of 1-2ml/kg of 95% concentrated solution can cause convulsions, cardiovascular problems, vomiting, fainting, and even kidney failure.
Uzbekistan says 18 children die after consuming India-made syruphttps://t.co/2bNDFQsZ8N— The Indian Express (@IndianExpress) December 28, 2022
This news also pointed towards 7 deaths that occurred in Gambia due to the consumption of ethylene glycol and di-ethyl glycol also found in Indian manufactured syrups earlier this year.
The World Health Organization told news platforms that, “WHO is in contact with health authorities in Uzbekistan and is ready to assist in further investigations”.
Keeping in view paracetamol being the active ingredient in Doc-1 Max, the Uzbekistan ministry said, “it was incorrectly used by parents as an anti-cold remedy on the recommendation of local pharmacies. The children had taken the medicine for 2 to 7 days, in doses of 2.5 to 5 ml, three to four times a day, before hospital admission, which exceeded the standard dose for children”.
A letter from Samarkand Regional Children’s Multidisciplinary Medical Center to the Head of the Regional Health Department, Davronbek Zhumaniyozov informed that over two months 21 cases of kidney failure in children were reported, inability to produce urine in 17 patients was reported with cases severe enough to undergo dialysis, 15 of which died.
Following this, syrups and tablets of Doc-1 Max were removed from sale.