Scoliosis

Overview of Scoliosis

Scoliosis is basically a curvature of the spine. Normally, a person has a spine that has a curve at the top near shoulders and a curve at the lower back.

Signs and Symptoms of Scoliosis

Overview

Scoliosis is basically a curvature of the spine. Normally, a person has a spine that has a curve at the top near shoulders and a curve at the lower back. If you have a spine that is curved from side to side or takes the shape of an “S” or “C”, you might be suffering from Scoliosis.
Till now, no clear cause of Scoliosis has been found. According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 80% of scoliosis cases have no identifiable cause. Scoliosis can improve with proper treatment.
Although it can affect people from all age groups, it is most commonly diagnosed among children aged between 10 to 15 years. It is diagnosed during the growth spurt.

Find the suitable doctor treating this disease

View doctors
view-doctor

Types of Scoliosis

Look for these symptoms if you think you have scoliosis:

  • A visibly rotating spine
  • Back pain
  • Different sized shoulder blades
  • Differently positioned shoulder blades
  • Uneven hips
  • Uneven waistline
  • The entire body leans towards one side
  • Head is not centered right above the pelvis area

Causes of Scoliosis

As in the majority cases, the exact cause of scoliosis cannot be determined, the most common type is “Idiopathic Scoliosis”. This is the term that refers to scoliosis caused by no definite reason.
80% of scoliosis cases are from Idiopathic scoliosis. The remaining 20% can be broken down into:

  • Congenital - the spinal deformities are present since birth.
  • Neurological - compressed nerves or some underlying muscle/nerve condition can affect the muscles in the spine.

Scoliosis can also be categorized as:

  • Structural

In structural scoliosis, the spine curve is caused by a disease, injury or it is a birth defect. Structural scoliosis is permanent.

  • Nonstructural

In nonstructural scoliosis, the curve is temporary and through proper treatment, it can be fixed.

Happniness

Risk Factors of Scoliosis

Some common causes are:

  • Birth defects

The bones in the spine may not form properly in the womb which causes scoliosis. This is called congenital scoliosis.

  • Neurological abnormalities

This can be caused by some underlying muscle/nerve conditions like cerebral palsy.

  • Family history

Family history and certain genetic conditions can also cause scoliosis.

  • Age factor

With age, wear and tear of the spine can occur. This is known as degenerative scoliosis.

  • Injury/infections

Sometimes scoliosis is also caused by some spinal injury or infection.

  • Genetic conditions

Genetic disorders like muscular dystrophy cause weakened muscles which can further lead to scoliosis.

Happniness

Prevention

Some of the important risk factors for scoliosis. These include:

  1. Family History: Scoliosis can run in your genes so, having prior cases in your family can increase your chances of suffering from the problem.
  2. Gender: Though both gender have an equal risk of suffering from the problem but among females cases can be more severe and require immediate treatment.
  3. Age: Chances of seeing apparent cases of scoliosis are much higher in adolescence.
Happniness

Diagnosis

There is no known way to prevent the onset of scoliosis. However, degenerative scoliosis can be delayed by taking good care of your body posture.

Treatment of Scoliosis | When to Consult a Doctor

You should immediately consult your healthcare provider if you feel you have some symptoms of Scoliosis. In most cases, scoliosis can be diagnosed through physical examination and a series of imaging tests.
In physical examination, your doctor will observe your back for spine curvatures by positioning you in different angles like standing up, bending down, or stretching.
Some imaging tests that are useful for the diagnosis are:

Doctors to treat Scoliosis

Last updated on Wednesday 31/08/2022

Doctor

Prof. Dr. M. Tariq Sohail

Orthopedic Surgeon | MBBS, Masters in Orthopedics , FRCS , FICS

Doctors HospitalRs 3000

28

Today’s Slots

98%

Satisfaction Rate

47

Years

Satisfied with Dr. treatment.

Doctor

Dr. Shahzad Anver Qureshi

Orthopedic Surgeon | MBBS, FCPS

Masood HospitalRs 2500

0

Today’s Slots

99%

Satisfaction Rate

8

Years

Highly Recommended

Doctor

Dr. Muhammad Khalid

Orthopedic Surgeon | MBBS, FCPS (ortho), Fellowship in Spine

Hameed Latif HospitalRs 2500

4

Today’s Slots

97%

Satisfaction Rate

27

Years

The doctor was very nice and helping.

All Doctors treating Scoliosis